Well, I managed to excavate the design with only one small injury! I don’t remember things going so well in my youth. The “lino” was softer and more willing to be carved than the real lino we used just after the War – maybe I have more patience now, too. The first edges are a bit ragged, but I soon discovered how to get clearer ones, even managing most of the tight angles. It was good fun to do and I am already wondering what else I can do with my new found skill.
The kit we have provided red and yellow paint but I wanted to print in dark green. Jackson’s Catalogue arrived fortuitously (as a free gift with another magazine), and there I found just what I wanted. but I must say a word about the Catalogue itself. It’s a very impressive publication. Not only was there a comprehensive range of artist’s materials, but each section was headed with an interesting and informative essay about the material concerned and each material was accompanied by a short description of when it would be most useful. In fact, I spent a pleasant and useful afternoon (when I should have been painting) reading the catalogue, and didn’t exhaust its fascination. I never thought I would eulogise a catalogue!
I tried two ways of printing my linocut – in the first case, I rolled the paint out into a suitable shape on the marble block I have, pressed the lino onto the paint, and then onto the paper; while in the second attempt, I rolled the paint onto the roller, then onto the linocut, then onto the paper. The results were quite different, though both were patchy in printing. I do own a book press, so I am thinking of using that to gain more colour. I hope to show you the finished result next week.